About Mtn Home

photo 3

The first site of Mountain Home was located on Rattlesnake Creek, in the foothills off of Highway 20 heading to Anderson Ranch Dam and Sun Valley, Idaho.  This was a stop along the Overland Stage Road though unknown when this site was established, it was mentioned as being prosperous in the 1870’s.  Commodore Jackson owned the station, known as Rattlesnake Station, which contained the Post Office.  With the addition of the Oregon Short Line Railroad in 1883, the post office was moved downhill and west to the city’s present site and renamed Mountain Home.  The city was incorporated in 1896 and became the county seat of Elmore County on February 4, 1891, by the last act of the last Territorial legislature of Idaho, Elmore County.  The first election was held in Elmore County in November, 1889.